Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Top Ten Books I Feel As Though Everyone Has Read But Me

Top Ten Tuesday is a feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. You can find upcoming topics at their Top Ten Tuesday page.

1. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
It seems that everyone I know has read this book, even my non-reader friends, and they all loved it.

2. If I Stay
I've heard a number of great things about this book, and I brought my copy to college with me this semester. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to it before the end of the year.

3. Dash and Lily's Book of Dares
I'm making this one my Christmas read! It is one of my tasks for the Fall/Winter Challenge in the College Students group on Goodreads (I plan on posting my entire task list sometime this week.)

4. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
I want to read this book so badly! It's a favorite of many of my bookish friends.

5. 1984
I swear, every single friend of mine on Goodreads has read this book. It makes me antsy seeing all of them have it on their read shelf while mine is still listed as to-read. I had to read a couple of short excerpts from it for my Utopian/Dystopian Literature class last year, and I really enjoyed what I read. I need to move this book up to the must-read list.

6. A Thousand Splendid Suns
You all don't have to sell me on this book. I know I have to read it. I see it on everyone's favorites list.

7. The Host
I'm a Twilight fan. I admit it. I've heard from many other Twilight fans (as well as Twilight haters) that this book is even better.

8. The Book Thief
I asked for this book for Christmas last year and was so happy when I unwrapped it Christmas morning. I thought I would read it right away, but it's still sitting there almost a year later.

9. The Shining
I've read a couple of Stephen King books but none of his classics. I've seen the movie with Jack Nicholson a few times, and I bought the book at a library sale a couple of years ago. It's just lying in a drawer gathering dust (yes, I organize my books Rory Gilmore style, stacked randomly in my dresser drawers). :)

10. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
I've been wanting to read this book since middle school. Why haven't I gotten to it yet?

13 comments:

  1. You listed a lot of books I haven't read. I have heard lots of great things about The Book Thief and If I Stay. It's amazing just how many great books there are out there. I don't think there is any way I could read them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved If I Stay. Have a lot of tissues when you read it. I wasn't a big fan of 1984. But I don't like dystopia that much. The Host was excellent, although it was very confusing for the first 1/3 of the book. Then it got really good. It is strongly influenced by Orson Scott Card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Thousand Splendid Suns is actually one of my least favorite books ever. The Perks of Being a Wallflower however, you need to read as soon as you can get your hands on it. It is such an amazing story, and I am really happy I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of these besides If I Stay, which I loved. That was an emotional read for me, I ended up crying almost the entire book!

    My Top 10 Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I made my list I forgot all about If I Stay, but I have not gotten around to it either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with a lot of yours! I have read 1984, but it was for school, and that's never the same. And I LOVED the kite runner, and have been meaning to read splendid suns forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great list. I haven't read any of those either, and I've got several on my TBR.

    My Top Ten Tuesday is here if you'd like a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dash and Lily is really good, definitely a good read around Christmas. Welcome to the blogging world!

    My Top Ten: http://rachelreader.blogspot.com/2011/09/top-ten-tuesday-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. 3, 4, 8. Those books are also on my list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Host was, in my opinion, much better than the Twilight series. I'm not a fan of Twilight at all, but The Host is actually a very good book.

    Books of Amber

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, I haven't read The Perks of Being a Wallflower, either. That would've been a good one for my list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been meaning to read The Thief for some time now. I also haven't read the Host. People say it is good but I don't know what is holding me back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alison- I've been told to have a box of tissues near me for If I Stay. I don't usually cry from books, but I'll see if this one gets to me. I only read maybe 10 pages total from 1984 so saying that I should love it may be a little premature, but who knows?

    Nina-It looks like Perks of Being a Wallflower is going to be an October group read for one of my Goodreads groups, so I may get to it real soon!

    Rachel-Thanks for the welcoming! I'm excited to finally be blogging.

    Amber & Alexis-I really want to read The Host! It sounds so different from Twilight. I'm curious about how it compares. Since I started college, though, I've been reading fewer books that are over 400-500 pages. I tell myself I'll get to the the bigger books over the summer, but I never do. Which is a shame because most of my favorite books are epics.

    ReplyDelete